Its the period of calm between Christmas and Hogmanay (New Year). Perfect for reflection on the past year and dreaming of what you want to make happen in 2016. Also perfect for getting back to the Live Your Legend blog challenge.
The next prompt is apt for this time of the year:
“What difference do you want to make in the world?”
I want to be able to look back on my life and know I made a positive difference to others. I’m still working through how best I . As a start I have decided that my theme for 2016 is “positive impact“. The key areas I want to explore are:
Making a difference to my family
I want to my son and my partner to feel that I made a positive impact on their lives. I was scared to leave my very well paid job as I thought I was being selfish and that the reduction in income would negatively impact my family.
However I have realised the best way I can make a difference it to be present – rather than stressed by work all hours of the day. I hadn’t seen how bad things had been until I left work and instead of freaking out as I expected, my mum made me promise that whatever I did in the future it would not be as stressful. My partner has also commented on how glad she is that I am much more present for her and our son.
- establish boundaries as I grow my own business, ensuring there is time for my family as well as my work.
- improve self care to enable me to have a positive impact on my family and others.
- Working through The Artist’s Way for Parents: Raising Creative Children as an adventure for my son and I.
Making a difference to others through my work and actions
I have been working on the WHY for my new business as per Simon Sinek’s excellent TEDx talk:
It is still a work in progress but the current draft is
Use my skills, experiences and contacts to help build a better business world. One where businesses respect all their stakeholders, make a positive contribution to their local economy and help others grow.
The aim for 2016 is to
- Establish a clearly defined initial business that I feel excited and confident about. One which can make the positive difference I want to see as well as enable me to support my family (along with my partner)
- Surround myself with positive people who believe passionately in the need for a better business world.
- Support others who are trying to build a better business world. This includes being more conscious of what I buy and who I buy from.
I look forward to exploring each of these aims in future blogs and seeing what 2016 has in store. In the meantime, I would love to hear below how you will make a difference in 2016. I find it so inspiring to hear other’s plans and approaches to a new year.
HAPPY NEW YEAR and